Today was our fourth service call for the claw machine: week of March 10, 2014.
Jen received call that claw was stuck on cord. This was the second time the claw became stuck, since we delivered the machine. So, when the claw dropped downward, the cable was going inside the claw.
We went over there removed the cable and did our best to ensure it doesn’t happen again. However, it just seems this can happen anytime. Jen cut the existing zip tie and repositioned a new zip tie.
I found a blog online with a new approach that worked for some. We did all we could but there was no box to tuck the cord as the blog suggest. So we shall see.
If you know of a full-proof way to avoid this from happening, then please leave a comment below.